Getting pregnant is one of the many shared joys that couples have. It is an opportunity to enjoy family in a whole new dimension. While people prepare amply for the arrival of the baby, very few prepare for the health of the parents. Mothers are especially at the risk of developing many health complications, including postpartum depression.
Even though postpartum depression is fairly common among mothers, very few take it seriously enough to seek treatment. Other than counseling and regular therapy, you can bank on postpartum chiropractic care to help manage your symptoms after giving birth.
What is Postpartum Depression?
It is a type of depression that occurs after childbirth. It is a common medical problem for many first-time mothers, but can also affect women with multiple children. While it may be mild for some people, others have a rough time after giving birth, increasing their risk of developing major depression afterward. This is especially the case if postpartum depression is left untreated for months, as is the case for several patients.
Something you will learn when you seek treatment in postpartum chiropractic near you is that postpartum depression is not like the typical baby blues that last a few days. Usually, this kind of depression presents symptoms that last for long, and are rather more severe than baby blues.
Symptoms of Postpartum Depression
Depending on how severe or mild your depression is, the symptoms you exhibit may vary from those of other mothers. They include the following:
- Severe mood swings – more like depressed moods.
- Becoming excessive emotional – this will feature too much crying noted every day.
- Withdrawing from people – even friends and family who want to help.
- Sleeping too much – both day and night
- Heightened irritability and anger
- Loss of appetite
- Eating too much
- Intense anxiety and frequent panic attacks
- Overall fear of not being a good mother – coupled with a feeling of hopelessness, shame, and even guilt.
Importance of Postpartum Chiropractic Care
Postpartum chiropractic near you exists so that mothers have a place to run to in case depression tries to kick in after childbirth. The truth is that your body undergoes an incredible amount of change when you get pregnant and after giving birth. Managing the hormonal imbalances in your body as you trying to heal and recover, all while raising a newborn child can be overwhelming for everyone. For this reason, chiropractors in Tyrone, GA cater to the needs of mothers after childbirth. The essence of chiropractic care after childbirth involves:
- Posture-related adjustments – a chiropractor near you will advise you amply on the importance of a good posture while walking, sitting, sleeping, and even breastfeeding. These can impact how your body continues to heal and recover after having a baby. You also want to ensure that you do not add to the postpartum problems by getting a backache, neck pain, or shoulder pain.
- To boost relaxation – deep massages may not mean much to you prior to having your baby, but you will need them after your baby. The new changes will take a toll on you both physically and mentally. Will chiropractic adjustments, the tense muscles are worked on and the pressure built up thereof is released.
- To improve blood circulation – for your body to function properly and your mood to be boosted, sometimes all you need is improved blood flow. Chiropractic care majors on techniques that help improve the flow of blood in different areas of your body.
- Restoring the body’s biomechanics – since your body is no longer carrying the weight of a baby, it must be adjusted to the normal state. This includes relieving pressure from the back, hips, legs, to mention a few areas of your body.
- Boosting mobility – the third trimester throughout birth can be pretty hectic for mothers. For this reason, it is expected that your body will slow down a lot, particularly on matters involving motion. Therefore, once you’ve had your baby, you need a realignment that can focus on improving the mobility of your ligaments effectively.
- Encouraging overall body healing – the different chiropractic techniques will all work together to boost your body’s ability to heal and recover from the stress of delivery. Chiropractic postpartum care concentrates on methods and exercises that will retrain your body and stimulate speedy healing.